Thursday, February 5, 2015

Disconnected

Waking up this morning I realized that today was the day I had to take on Professor Young's challenge to try and not use any form of media for the entire day. Right away I knew it was going to be a challenge because the first thing I do in the morning when I wake up is check my text messages, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. You name it, I check it. I had to force myself to not even look at my phone or else I would be tempted. Then and there I decided to set a goal for myself. I wanted to at least last until the late afternoon without using any form of media. I was determined to do this. So, instead of turning Netflix on in the morning while I was getting ready, I had to resort to doing my hair and make up for a longer time so I would keep myself busy. During my only class for the day it was easy not to have the urge use the media because I was focused on the class and not my phone. It was a bit more difficult when I went to lunch with my friends because they were on their phones while I was trying not to even look at mine. Once it hit noon I finally cracked. My phone was blowing up with messages and I just had to see what was going on. It was so worth it. Not using media for the few hours made me feel disconnected and it made me feel like I was missing out on what people were doing. It's baffling to me how addictive the media can be. Now even though I didn't make through the entire day without using media, I still tried. That's all that matters, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment